I had like 5 or 6 amano shrimp and now i dont ever see them, are they hiding or dead?

what fish typically would eat shrimp in a planted aquarium.

and would any other shrimp be better canidates for my tank?

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What type of fish do u have in there?

rainbows, gouramis, misc tetras, a couple apistos

what type of rainbows and gouramis?

australian rainbows and opaline gouramis, and a paradise fish

They are probably dead. In my experience Amano shrimp are not as hardy as advertised. Many tmes they will die & you wont see the bodies. Check around your tank too. If its open they could have jumped out.

that might be possible as i have never found one of my amano then later found a dead carcass in the back.

To answer some of your other question regreding hiding....i have mine with a  keyhole cichlid once and it was the boss. I haven't seen my amano shrimp for a long time but I know they are still there hiding.

Once I give away the cichlid, my amano start to show up from hiding.

the only thing that makes me think i still have any is i saw one swim from behind the plants and then went back, but that was like a month ago,

would cherry shrimp be better off?

my tanks pretty densely planted i would think they would have hiding places

cherry shrimp would be a snack for all your fishes.

All of your fish would eat them.  Neon Tetras White cloud minnows are good tank mates.

They tend to hide but come out more as they get older.  They also are not as hardy as other types of shrimp.  Might want to try with Ghost Shrimp.  Cheap and you can load up on 10 for around 3 dollars.  I've seen them from 15 cents to 33 cents according to where you go.

See how they do and then work your way up.  A lot of shrimp are nocturnal and that makes it harder to catch them.  If you have fish in the tank they tend to hide in good light.

I get cherry shrimp that tend to jump out of my tank.  No clue why but my Angels and Serpaes go nuts when they see cherry red shrimp even if it's a large female they can't eat.  They just chase it around until it hides or jumps out of the tank.  Very annoying.

Here is a cool video if you ever get overstocked and need to catch a few to cut down the population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_k2Wg9ayI

Good luck!

yeah ive tried the ghosts i think that im just gonna stay away from shrimp

Just for the heck of it what is the gH and kH of your tank?  Shrimp, like snails, don't really care for soft water as the acidity harms their exoskeletons.  I think snails are more succeptible to it, but it's worth taking a look into.

RSS

Blog Posts

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:59pm 0 Comments

10 Gallon planted Guppy

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:58pm 0 Comments

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

© 2024   Created by Dustin Wunderlich.   Powered by