My favorite filter is Aqueon filters.

There cheap and pump out alot of gallons an hour.

4 way filtriation

So whats your favorite?

Views: 2012

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see much new input at all. I see numerous members online chatting and relatively few new posts or response to posts. I'm getting bored.

I understand about the boredom. This isn't what you would call a "serious" site. But I kinda like the fact that people can chat online about mermaids or cars for two hours. Dustin's new "Experts" feature should contribute a lot to the serious tankers and there are some really smart people who pop up on the site once in awhile. If I feel the need I'll "PM" them with serious questions.

I totally agree with Robert. Te best type of filters are waterchanges.

I have several, a Marineland 530 canister, that I have found that it can go for many months without service, I have a home made bio filter, a 4 inch PVC pipe filled with plastic scouring pads running off a power head.  I have a UV filter that keeps the water crystal clear and an HOB that is something I had on a 60.  All this on a 90 and I have not lost a fish in a very long time.  Which one is the best, they all have benefits but the canister filter seems to do the most work.  But I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks or so, that probably helps most.

I am new to Fishtank TV, but not the hobby. In regard to filtration, I think it is a matter of personal preference. In my experience, I have haven't found it necessary to invest in a lot of expensive equipment. As many do agree, water changes are mandatory. I feel that a good understanding of the microbiology in your tank will help beginners to determine what filtration system will work for them. There are publications available-BOOKS-out there that can be of use. Does anybody read anymore? I wonder sometimes if some people in the hobby are buying high-end equipment as a status symbol, or maybe they think they can eliminate water changes altogether. Anyway, I recommend reading any of the publications of Dr. Herbert Axelrod or Glen S. Axelrod. To you newbies, don't believe everything you read online, do your research. It will help determine what advice is legitimate and there are knowledgeable hobbyists online.

To go into the science involved in filtration would be soooo lengthy, that's why I suggested reading. I suppose if we wanted to go into all that here, we would have to start with one aspect at a time, such as the nitrogen cycle and go from there. Does any want to volunteer? There are so many variables involved when someone asks specifically, "what filter is best ?" Well, what species of fish, plants are they keeping, how many, what are they feeding, etc.,etc. I definitely feel we could use more scientific input, but how do we go about it?

Your idea about approaching the subject of filtration methodically is commendable, but it won't happen. Perhaps Dustin's "Talk to the Experts" conference calls can be organized to tackle questions in such a way. Right now the best approach is to just throw in your two cents on the subject and check the response.

I like some of the points you made:

1) "To go into the science involved in filtration would be soooo lengthy"

Soooo true!

2) "There are so many variables involved when someone asks specifically 'what filter is best'?" 

Once again very true.

I agree that reading helps but these discussions can get very detailed. I asked a scientist about beneficial bacteria and he wanted to know which species of beneficial bacteria I was talking about. (This guy buys the bacteria for his tanks from laboratories) I asked about plants and nitrates and he wanted to know what type of nitrates because different plants eat different kinds of waste. I'm not even sure Axelrod gets into this level of detail.

Short of going back to college, the only way to educate oneself is by hammering away at scientists and seeing how much can be learned. Its really just a war of attrition. 

Practical experience is another type of knowledge. The best Discus breeders in the world, for example, are from small homes in SE Asia. I guarantee you none of those guys has a science degree. Dustin wasn't a science major but he demonstrates a healthy respect for science and speaks authoritatively about aquariums from experience. I value what he doesn't say almost as much as what he does say.

I guess I just got sick of people blathering on mindlessly about some $300 piece of junk from China with a fancy name. So I threw a bomb into the discussion. I sure as hell don't know it all - not even close. But I love hearing from people with something interesting to say.

Thanks for the response. I too get irritated with the high-tech junkies. Its one thing if they have some knowledge on why their equipment functions biologically, but quite another if they're just tooting their own horns because they just blew a lot of$$$ I have been keeping aquaria for 30+ years and have never felt the need to own such filtration systems,co2 systems, etc. As you said, practical experience and some understanding of science go a long way. I have ordered D. Walstad's book and am looking forward to checking out her methods.

Aqueon all the way.... mega flow, plenty of bio filter surface!

The aquaclears are hinky at restarting after power outages.....and being someone who always modifys my filters, no need with the aqueon.

Fluval 305 would have to be my favorite. I do have a pair of Aqueon Filters on my 29 and it turns the tank over nicely

i have a cannister xl3 id love to get a fluval but think im good for now,

however what are you all suggesting as the best mix of meida IN the cannisters? is filter wool great as they say? should i get ceramic media, so far i think i have activated carbon, sponges and white pads. 

I like and use aquaclears and have 2 whisper filters.I would have to say aquaclears are the best you have more options with them too.

RSS

Blog Posts

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:59pm 0 Comments

10 Gallon planted Guppy

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:58pm 0 Comments

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

© 2024   Created by Dustin Wunderlich.   Powered by