Dirt is pretty much the best plant substrate you can possibly use and the results of it are second to none. Dirt does come with some downfalls but overall, once you balance out your tank, the results will be freaking fantastic. You may be wondering what to use when setting up a dirted aquarium.

What I used:

1.miracle-gro organic choice potting mix

2.amaco brand red clay(rule of thumb-1 lb for every 20 gallons)

3.iron ore from a local distributor

4.laterite clay

5.carribean live sand

6.peat moss

Not everything that I have listed above has to be used for dirting an aquarium except for the dirt itself. one of the ingredients that you want to extremely consider is the red clay. The red clay really brings red out in plants such as the red tiger lotus, ludwigia sp, rotala sp, indian red swords, and kleiner bar swords just to name a few . You may also be looking at the other ingredients and be wondering what the heck is he doing with iron ore, reef sand, and peat moss so let me give you the rundown on these ingredients. Iron is pretty much one of the most used elements in a planted tank therefore if you are able to find some, you want to put it in your dirt concoction to make it more potent plant wise. Same calls for the laterite clay as it is rich in iron. The carribean live reef sand buffers your water to a high ph and kh and used in conjuction with peat moss which lowers ph and kh will balance out your water to equilibrium for most tropical fish. Anyway peat moss and reef sand are both good for growing plants.

What to expect when dirting a tank:

1.For the first few weeks your dirt might leach up tannins but this is normal and with regular water changes, it will go away.

2.Depending on how you did your dirt, your plants might melt but trust me, they will come back.

3.Your dirt will have anaerobic gas no matter how you do it and it will lighten up after a while.

4.You will have ferocious plant growth so have that in mind.

5.You do not need high light or co2 if you are running dirt, if you do, your plants will literaly grow insane.

The items listed above are just a general rundown on what to expect when dirting your aquarium.

How to setup your dirted aquarium:

1. Put your empty aquarium on a level surface

2. Let your dirt soak for about a day or two but make sure the dirt is moist the whole time, not like a pond or something.

3. Put about an inch to inch and a half in the aquarium.

4. Place what ever additives you want on top of the dirt and mix it in with the dirt very evenly.

5. Cap the dirt with to about a 1:1 ratio i.e. if you used an inch of dirt, use an inch of gravel.

6. Place whatever rocks,decorations, or driftwood into the tank.

7. A good idea is to tie whatever rhizome plants you have onto the rocks or driftwood  before you begin filling up the tank.

8. Fill the tank up about halfway making sure not to disturb the substrate.

9. Plant what ever plants you have.

10. Fill the rest of the tank upmaking sure not to unearth any plants and/or gravel.

11. Install your lights.

12. Prime your filter and watch your plants grow!

I hope that if you are a beginner fish keeper that this how to will help you on your journey to setting up a beautiful planted aquarium in which plants and fish do well in. 

Please checkout my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/greatoutdoorsman2009?feature=mhee and hit me up if you have any further questions.

Views: 12039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it will be cloudy initially like all tanks are but soaking the dirt will make it where the dirt wont leach up as much tanins

cool so if i was to start doing it lets say today and jsut do the daily water changes on the container untill i dirt the tank in mid jan ill have little lannins then????

I still have a little tannis in mine and its been running about 2 months. But I left pretty much all the wood chips in the dirt. If you remove most of the wood chips I believe you will have less tannis. Sounds good in theory anyway.

cool ill do that, also how much dirt will it be needed for a 75 gallon with one inch deep

1 bag should be enough, you just want enough to make like a 1" -1.5" layer

cool thanks im gonna start the soaking and water changes tomorrow or so but i gotta see how many inches of dirt will take to do a 1 inch deep maybe alil more if i use a ten gallon to measure it, im doing the math and im thinking it might take 3-3 3/4" deep inb the ten gallon to get it right, but like i said im still doing the math and maybe if i get some1 that its good with math i might be able to help me with the math, im just guessing through drawings hahaha im pathetic i know

Thanks so much of the info of how to dirt a fish tank im going to set my 4ft -19inc-16inc tank up with dirt and plant the nut out of it :-) thanks once more top man

OK I want to setup  my tank but not sure  about the mix. I have everything on the list but here's  my problem:

Miracle-Gro  organic  = 1-1 1/2"

Amaco red clay = 1 lbs for every  20 gallons  

Iron ore = 10 paintball  size  per 20 gallons  

Laterite  clay = ? How much?

Carribean  live sand  = ? How much? Should I mix in with soil mix or should I add a thin layer  on top of soil mix/ under gravel  

Peat moss = ? How much?

Thanks so much for posting this I am really looking forward  to  seeing  how  it  turns  out  

RSS

Blog Posts

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:59pm 0 Comments

10 Gallon planted Guppy

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:58pm 0 Comments

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

© 2024   Created by Dustin Wunderlich.   Powered by