What's up fish tank people!

Dave here with some of the most basic and common questions around.  I'm super jacked about getting into this planted aquarium stuff.  

Just got myself a 29 wide with a Fluval C3 filter and a 25 watt florescent light. I know I'll likely have to up the wattage if I want good plant growth.  I haven't put any plants in yet because I want to get a good substrate. I've already covered the tank's bottom (somewhat regretfully) with white gravel aprox. 6mm in diameter.  But now I want to add a base of Fluorite beneath it so that I can have a healthy environment for the future plants.

Right now I've only got 4 Tetras and 1 crayfish in there (and don't bother going off about how the cray is going to eat up all my plants and cause chaos because I expect this and am going to go for it anyway, appeasing him with frozen krill and blood worms and other treats in hopes to keep him from eating too many plants).

So.

My first question is - do you think capping the Fluorite with the white gravel will cause problems for plant growth since they are of larger (aprox 6mm pieces)? Aesthetically, I know most people prefer dark substrate but I've already paid for a big bag of this stuff and would feel bad about not using it.  Also, do you think the gravel will inevitably get mixed in with the Fluorite from sucking up waste from the tanks floor and look terrible? On that note, do I need to suction up fish waste from the substrate after I have the fluorite and some plants, or can it be left there as fertilizer? 

If I end up having to take out that white gravel for the greater good it's not the end of the world, I want to be happy with the tank in the end.

Last question folks - 

Is it ok to lay down a nice layer of Fluorite without having that many plants to put in at first?  Plants are expensive and I'll likely only have the cash for 3 plants at the very beginning and will add as time goes by.  Is there anything to worry about by doing this?  Will it upset the balance of things somehow by having lots of Fluorite and very few plants at first?

Thanks a ton people, I'm savagely stoked about this new world I'm getting into and very much appreciate any help you can offer.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Dave! Glad your pumped because planted tanks are not only cool looking, but pretty rewarding when you get it looking just right.

I promise I won't give you any crap about the white gravel...bluh. Ok just that one time.
It might make the colors pop if you went with a white background too.

Let's talk about the Flourite because that seems to be your biggest concern.
Will it mix? Eventually. Especially if you agitate it. If you had say a brown or more natural color substrate you would even notice it.
When you ad Flourite or Laterite to your substrate you are essentially just fortifying it with iron. This will make root feeders happy, but that's about it. So you don't have to worry about just having a few plants in there.
You will still have to vac your tank from time to time. The Flourite won't entirely act like soil does in a dirt tank. While your plants will consume this to some degree In a dirted tank there is anaerobic bacteria in the soil that assist in the breakdown of fish waste and decaying plant material converting them into nutrients for your plants. I don't know if this is true or the same with Flourite.
The size of your gravel won't inhibit plant growth, but it will be a PITA for awhile trying to keep plants in it until they root. And, you might limit yourself as to the types of plants that will grow well. Like you might not be able to do baby dwarf tears or something like that due to there tiny root structure.

Good luck man!
Start a Journal with pic's when you get started.
Oh, btw...if you think plants are expensive you're going to drop dead when you see the price of Flourite! :)

Thanks for the info!  

I'm not going to keep the white gravel, going to rock out with just a fertilized substrate like Flourite, or maybe A.D.A. which I'm strongly considering.  I'm aware of how expensive those are, but I can justify it if they'll help to have a strong and healthy planted tank for years to come.

Once I get the substrate I decide on it's going to be a bitch to remove all the water and gravel to lay it down.  It sucks because I'll have built up some beneficial bacteria in that gravel that I'll be tossing out but at least I'll still have the stuff in my filter.

I just bought a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood, which I boiled to remove the tannins and it looks really nice in the tank.  Although I'm a little concerned it may be a little too big.  I'll see if I can upload a photo or two of what I've got going on so far.  I also put a little Java moss on the wood as well as a little cave I have for my crayfish.

Probably going to jam a little Anubias into some of the crannies on top of that wood soon.

Exciting stuff, can't wait to get more plants!

Here's the pics - 

Attachments:

RSS

Blog Posts

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:59pm 0 Comments

10 Gallon planted Guppy

Posted by Richard on December 29, 2019 at 10:58pm 0 Comments

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Birthdays